This Raspberry Leaf and Chamomile Summer Cooling Spray is a soothing and refreshing solution for hot summer days. I love spending time outdoors in the garden, by the pool, or on a hike, but I am a wimp when it comes to the heat. Imagine a concoction that harnesses the anti-inflammatory properties of chamomile and raspberry leaf and the delicate essence of dried flowers.
Picture yourself indulging in a fragrant mist to calm your… self and that sunburnt skin. Perfect for your beach bag or backyard, this raspberry leaf and chamomile cooling spray is mild, yet effective, so you can keep calm and spray on all day long.
Herbal Ingredients for Gentle Skin Care
Most of us might be familiar with raspberry leaf in the form of an herbal tea, but there is so much more to it than that (and a hot cup of tea isn’t always ideal poolside in July). With cooling and anti-inflammatory properties, raspberry leaf is a great option for skincare and beauty products.
Most cooling sprays use peppermint, but I find it can be rather strong if you want to keep spraying away in the summer heat (and some people don’t like the smell of mint). I wanted to create an herbal blend that was super easy to make, and safe and effective to beat the southern heat. Red raspberry leaf and chamomile were the ideal ingredients for my concoction.
Raspberry Leaf and Chamomile Summer Cooling Spray Recipe
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please visit my privacy + disclosure page for more details.
My favorite online store for herbs is Starwest Botanicals.
While I try to avoid most plastics, I do prefer these blue plastic bottles for outdoor use for safety reasons.
- In a clean jar, combine the dried chamomile and raspberry leaf.
- Pour the witch hazel over the herbs, ensuring they are fully submerged.
3. Seal the jar tightly and let it sit in a cool, dark place for 3-6 weeks to allow the herbs to infuse into the witch hazel. This infusion process will extract the beneficial properties of the herbs. I prefer a longer steep time, but sometimes you just can’t wait!
4. After the infusion period, strain the liquid using a fine-mesh strainer or cheesecloth. Discard the used herbs and transfer the infused witch hazel into a clean glass jar. Be sure to use a spoon to squeeze out all of that herbal goodness.
5. Measure 2 tablespoons of aloe gel and add it to the infused witch hazel. Stir gently until the aloe gel is fully incorporated into the mixture.
6. Using a funnel, pour the mixture into a clean spray bottle.
7. Secure the spray bottle cap and shake gently to ensure all the ingredients are well-mixed.
8. Your Raspberry Leaf and Chamomile Summer Cooling Spray is now ready to use.
Application and Usage:
- Before each use, shake the spray bottle gently to distribute the ingredients evenly.
- Close your eyes and spritz the cooling spray onto your face and body, holding the bottle about 8-10 inches away from your skin.
- Use the spray to cool and refresh your skin during hot summer days.
- It can also be applied after sun exposure to soothe and calm any redness or irritation.
- Additionally, you can use it as a natural toner by spraying it on a cotton pad and gently wiping your face before applying moisturizer or makeup.
Tips and Storage:
- Store the spray bottle in a cool, dark place to prolong its shelf life.
- Keep the bottle tightly sealed when not in use to prevent evaporation and contamination.
- Perform a patch test before using the spray on your face or body, especially if you have sensitive skin or allergies to any of the ingredients.
Enjoy the refreshing and rejuvenating benefits of your homemade Raspberry Leaf and Chamomile Summer Cooling Spray!
Skin Benefits of These Ingredients
Click each ingredient bto learn the skin benefits.
Additional Variations or Customizations
Exchanging ingredients in this recipe is welcomed, and is a great way to use what you have on hand and what herbs work best for you. Here are a few additions or substitutions that I think would work well:
- Apple cider vinegar, peppermint, lavender, rose or citrus peel for a burst of vitamin c, calendula, lemon balm, cucumber, coconut oil (yes, this hardens at room temperature, but it will be plenty liquid if you are out in the summer heat), olive oil, nettle
- Make these into ice cubes to lay across your chest as you soak up the sun for a new twist on this spray.
Safety Precautions and Allergy Considerations
While herbal ingredients like chamomile and raspberry leaf offer numerous benefits, it’s important to note that they may not be suitable for everyone. Here are some individuals who should exercise caution or avoid these herbal ingredients:
- Allergy Sensitivity: If you have known allergies or sensitivities to chamomile, raspberry leaf, or any related plants, it’s best to avoid using products containing these ingredients to prevent any adverse reactions.
- Pregnancy and Breastfeeding: Pregnant women or breastfeeding individuals should consult with their healthcare provider before using products containing raspberry leaf. While these herbs are generally considered safe, it’s important to ensure they won’t interfere with any specific health conditions or interact with other medications.
- Ragweed Allergy: Chamomile is a member of the ragweed family, so individuals with ragweed allergies may also be sensitive to chamomile. Exercise caution or consult a healthcare professional if you have a known ragweed allergy.
- Medication Interactions: If you are taking any medications, especially blood thinners or sedatives, it’s advisable to consult your healthcare provider before using products containing herbal ingredients. Some herbs, including chamomile, may interact with certain medications and affect their effectiveness.
As with any new product or ingredient, it’s always wise to perform a patch test on a small area of skin before applying it more extensively to ensure there are no adverse reactions. If you have any concerns or specific health conditions, it’s best to consult with a healthcare professional or herbalist for personalized advice.
Incorporate this Raspberry Leaf and Chamomile Summer Cooling Spray into Your Beach Bag Must-Haves!
In conclusion, the Raspberry Leaf and Chamomile Summer Cooling Spray offers a calming effect and serves as the perfect way to unwind at the end of a long day during this vibrant time of year. Blending the benefits of herbal infusions, such as soothing chamomile and skin-nourishing raspberry leaf, this mist provides a refreshing and rejuvenating experience. Embrace the tranquility it brings, and let its beneficial effects revitalize your senses, leaving you refreshed and ready to savor every moment of this glorious season.
Other Recipes for After Sun Care
Pin It for Later!
About the Author:
I’m Brittany, totally modern and mainstream turned crunchy mama!
Read more here about how I went from a totally incompetent cook and hyper-consumer to striving to live a more meaningful life from scratch.
I can’t wait to share my modern homesteading journey with you and I hope I inspire you to join along!
- 1.5 cups witch hazel
- 1/2 cup dried chamomile flowers
- 1/2 cup dried raspberry leaf
- 2 tbsp aloe gel
- 2 Glass jars
- Measuring spoon
- Fine-mesh strainer or cheesecloth
- Spray bottle
- In a clean jar, combine the dried chamomile and raspberry
- Pour the witch hazel over the herbs, ensuring they are fully
- Seal the jar tightly and let it sit in a cool, dark place
for 3-6 weeks to allow the herbs to infuse into the witch hazel. This infusion
process will extract the beneficial properties of the herbs. I prefer a longer
steep time, but sometimes you just can't wait!
- After the infusion period, strain the liquid using a
fine-mesh strainer or cheesecloth. Discard the used herbs and transfer the
infused witch hazel into a clean glass jar. Be sure to use a spoon to squeeze
out all of that herbal goodness.
- Measure 2 tablespoons of aloe gel and add it to the
infused witch hazel. Stir gently until the aloe gel is fully incorporated into
- Using a funnel, pour the mixture into a clean spray
- Secure the spray bottle cap and shake gently to ensure
all the ingredients are well-mixed.
- Your Raspberry Leaf and Chamomile Summer Cooling Spray is
now ready to use.